[modular-debian] alternate models for building a distro

  • From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:10:19 -0500

Some food for thought:

Thanks to Joel Roth for pointing out gobolinux, in response to which I pointed to guix (someone else first pointed that out).

Joel pointed me at these, re. GUIX
http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guile/guix-ghm-2012.20120721.pdf
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html

The above presentation, in turns references its origins in nixos (nixos.org), which in turn lead me to these:
http://nixos.org/
http://www.slideshare.net/sandervanderburg/vanderburg11-fosdem
and ultimately to:
http://www.slideshare.net/dberkholz/is-distributionlevel-package-management-obsolete (thin, but a nice read)

I've been thinking, more and more that the whole notion of a distro is obsolete. There's a trend emerging:
- Source code distros (Gentoo)
- Source code distros with lightweight packages (recipes, really) (gobolinux, GIUX)
- roll your own from upstream (LFS)
- automated roll your own (ALFS)

I keep coming to the conclusion that upstream + continuous integration (a la Jenkins) kind of gets us away from packages and distros entirely. Seems like I'm not alone.

And then there are unikernels.....

Cheers,

Miles