[modular-debian] Re: Packaging: was Why focus on systemd?

  • From: Marty <martyb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 16:17:15 -0500

On 11/23/2014 03:23 AM, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
On 23/11/2014 8:33 AM, Marty wrote:
My dream distro is Go for system apps and Groovy/Dalvik for GUI apps,
because I'm cool[1] and Google promised to do no wrong and you pick
up Android as a bonus, for what it's worth.

I even wonder if Gobolinux would pick Go over Lua today?

[1] We are all cool kids because nobody mentioned Guile yet.

You can't trust Google to keep /any/ product, there is a Google
graveyard website for good reason.

A.

I read that Go was developed at Google but it and Groovy are backed by
Springsource, whatever that means. It's already in Wheezy and I would
expect it to survive in the wild, as C does. (That would be a
necessity  anyway.) My interest is largely based on Thomson and Pike's
involvement. After Python 3 I'm paying much closer attention to
pedigree, and less to the maintainers.

Groovy is mostly a placeholder. VMs and abstraction insulate from
lock-in [theory] and Google has the muscle to fix things if the Oracle
case goes very wrong with the world's top application language. It
might also help OpenJDK/IcedTea. [wishful]

The general idea is having modularity enforced by infrastructure
rather than in written policy or a vague social contract, and it
happens that the world is going that direction anyway because it's the
Right Thing To Do, aka I'm hopping on the bandwagon, and hoping it's
the right wagon.