[modular-debian] Re: Packaging: was Why focus on systemd?

  • From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:06:37 -0500

Steve Litt wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 06:38:27 -0500
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Chef to Debian: Please stop packaging us"
It's funny you bring this up. I'm soooo familiar with this viewpoint! I
was the originator of the VimOutliner Project, the maintainer for a
couple years, and a "committer" (we were less formal, but you know what
I mean) for a few more. Every time someone installed VimOutliner from a
Debian package and wrote us for help, we followed the following process:

cool...

1) Cringed
2) Told them to forget they'd ever heard about the Debian package
3) Gave them instructions on how to install it from our tarball
4) THEN we helped them.

sounds about right

Some software is best delivered by package. I really wouldn't want to
compile Gnumeric or Firebox myself. But others, like VimOutliner, is
just a bunch of script and config files, and there's *no reason* it
can't be a tarball and a half a page of installation instructions.

The pastebinit command, which pushes its stdin into a web page on
paste.debian.org or paste.ubuntu.com or fpaste.org or whatever, is a
python program, plain and simple. Tell me one more time, just so I
understand, why is a pastebinit package needed in any distro? I think
that apt-get install pastebinit should produce nothing more than the
instruction "go to https://launchpad.net/pastebinit/+download and
download pastebinit"?

or wordpress (a script - drop it into the web server, then it can update itself from upstream every time there's a security patch)

or anything written in perl - perlman does a much better job at keeping dependencies up-to-date from upstream

Cheers,

Miles