[modular-debian] Manjaro with pure runit

  • From: Steve Litt <slitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 17:43:11 -0500

Hi all,

Starting with the Manjaro 8.1.1 OpenRC edition, I slowly took
everything out of OpenRC and moved it to runit. This afternoon, I
booted the box with pure runit: No OpenRC calls at all.

This setup is rickety as hell, it uses at least one ridiculous
shellscript I translated from OpenRC, and I can't imagine it being
anywhere near portable. But as a proof of concept, it's pretty good,
because the day we can compile up a runit init from source and
instructions, no package manager, is the day we can declare our
independence from the likes of Red Hat and Poettering. It's the day we
can choose our distro almost without regard to its supported init
systems.

SteveT