[modular-debian] Manjaro OpenRC ISO

  • From: Steve Litt <slitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 10:32:58 -0500

Hi all,

I *was* able to replace systemd with sysvinit->OpenRC on Manjaro, but
then I found out they actually have an install ISO all ready to install
OpenRC Manjaro out of the box:

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=18227.0

I'm probably going to try that ISO tonight.

If there's anybody who knows the low level bits about the init process,
I need your help in reverse engineering Manjaro's OpenRC system. If I
can reverse engineer it, I can give the information to those developing
modular debian (and to the Devuan folks). My understanding is that the
actual init is sysvinit, but that sysvinit immediately hands over
control to OpenRC, who really runs the gettys and all the daemons. One
thing I'd like to do is see if I can replace sysvinit with a 16 line
tiny, tightly encapsulated init, which also hands over control to
OpenRC.

If anyone decides to use Manjaro with OpenRC as their Linux box, please
feel free to use me as a resource. Manjaro can be a little tricky, and
as someone who just learned about it in the past week, I well remember
the landmines and how to get past them.

Thanks,

SteveT