[modular-debian] Fw: engineering management practices and systemd (Re: Installing an Alternative Init?)

  • From: Steve Litt <slitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:46:00 -0500

I can't believe Lisi Reisz compared apt-get install kde to what you
need to do to get a different init system working, without all sorts of
side effects.

She really is in love with systemd. I thought it was just a summer
thing.

SteveT

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 10:52:56 -0300
From: Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: engineering management practices and systemd (Re:
Installing an Alternative Init?)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 13:10:22 +0000
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Do you remember the Gnome/KDE war? Now
> > we have two great desktop. Let's not impose by law an init system.
>
> Yes, but Gnome is the default and you have to be an "advanced user"
> to get KDE.

Not really, you just have to choose whether you download the Gnome-CD,
the KDE-CD, or the Xfce-CD (which I prefer).

There is choice without being "advanced".

Cheers,

Ron.