[modular-debian] Fw: Has the systemd fork already happened?

  • From: Steve Litt <slitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 12:43:54 -0500

Miles,

I hope you're on modular-debian, but just in case you're not, I'm
copying you directly...

Have you tried OpenBSD for your server? It's a spectacular OS,
especially for servers. If you don't need virtual machines, it's
outstanding. If you *do* need virtual machines, perhaps use OpenBSD as
guests for Xen.

I've found only two things wrong with OpenBSD:

1) Slow file creation and deletion
2) Very slow terminal writes

Because of #2, it might be better, on commands expected to do a lot,
to pipe its output to a file.

OpenBSD is the most sane OS I've seen, with an outstanding binary
package manager and ports to back it up. If it had a working, hardware
enabled qemu, I'd use it for a desktop. But by far its main use is as
a server.

SteveT

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 11:28:29 -0500
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Debian User <debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Has the systemd fork already happened?

golinux wrote:
> On Sun, 11/9/14, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>  Subject: Has the systemd fork already happened?
>>  To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>  Date: Sunday, November 9, 2014, 8:04 AM
>
>> I just encountered a link about refracta.
>
>> Refracta would appear to be rather close to Debian testing.  Its home
>> page is http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/
>
>> At http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118319 it is
>> described as (for testing, without libsystemd0, it's pinned).
>
>> Anybody know more?  Does it use Debian's repositories?
>
>> Are there any other forks?
>
>> -- hendrik

> Yes, Refracta is pure unmodified Debian and uses the Debian repos!
> As suggested, please join the forums and contribute expertise if
> possible.

And report back!  Those of us who are still waiting and seeing, and
evaluating options might be interested.

Re. Refracta:  unfortunately for those of us looking for server-side
solutions, Refracta defines itself as aimed at home users.

Miles Fidelman