[modular-debian] Re: Epoch Init System Howto

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 13:13:02 -1000

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 03:28:06PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's a new Epoch Init System howto, with which any reasonably
> knowledgeable Linux user can replace his or her current init system
> with Epoch:

> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm#pure_epoch_init_system
>
> Hope you like it.

Thanks for this valuable guide!!!  I found it very easy to
read.

Epoch raises a question. Should I *need* to be able to
replace init scripts on upgrading upgrading?
Debian has infrastructure for it. But an admin-configured
init system such as Epoch cuts out large swaths of
that complexity.

I can see how from the distro developer's view, being able
to upgrade init scripts with the package it belongs to is
beneficial.

Joel

--
Joel Roth