[modular-debian] Re: Alternate init mailing list?

  • From: Steve Litt <slitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 19:58:47 -0500

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 17:58:22 -0500
Marty <martyb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/14/2014 02:14 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm having a lot of trouble getting the runit init system to run,
> > mainly because there's no working mailing list or user group or IRC
> > channel. This is true of most of the alternate init systems
> > (everything but sysvinit, upstart and systemd). In addition, most
> > of the other init systems have inadequate documentation.
>
> Have tried Gentoo lists and forums? Here's one example:
> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-998478.html
>
> Have you tried the Jessie version? The packager should have done
> most of the work for you:
> https://packages.debian.org/jessie/runit

Thanks Marty,

The Gentoo page has given me a lot of good ideas, including using runit
as a vehicle to kick off OpenRC. If I did that, I could slowly migrate
processes from OpenRC to runit, until I could drop OpenRC. The benefit
of this would be a lot like building a kit car or Linux From Scratch:
I'd understand every last element in the init system. And blessed with
that understanding, I could help others.

As far as the Jessie URL, that would probably be a good idea, except
I'm soooooo done with Debian. As soon as I can migrate off Wheezy to a
different distro, my only other Debian activities will be to help
others build a systemd-free Debian. I myself will probably run my
business on something not Debian.

Great news: About an hour ago, I got Manjaro to boot up with an
exclusively runit init. Keep in mind, this was a proof of concept, and
all it did was bring up tty4 thru 6, no X capability, no network, no
nothing. But it was absolutely a proof of concept that was very greatly
needed.

The two great links you posted notwithstanding, life sure would be
easier if there was a mailing list devoted to alternate init systems,
so all of us could benefit from each others' research.

Thanks,

SteveT