[modeleng] Re: generator bis

  • From: "John Pagett" <john_pagett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:06:26 -0000

Patrick,

I used to have a Lucas document that detailed their early alternator
systems. I wish I knew where it was......

I can remember some parts of the circuit though.

The three output coils I'm pretty sure are arranged as a star (Y),
immediately followed by a conventional 3 phase rectifier ( 6 diodes, 3 with
cathodes commoned going to the positive output, three with anodes connected
to ground. Each coil then connects to two diodes, one going to ground, one
to positive.

The positive output is divided in a potential divider and compared to a
reference (I think it was a simple zener). This difference is amplified and
used to control a power transistor which was connected to the field coil.

There was another connection from the battery, through the ignition on lamp,
which went into the regulator. The current through this connection was
important - if the lamp failed, the alternator would not charge (and because
the lamp had failed, you didn't know the alternator wasn't doing its
stuff!).

The field coil was connected through slip rings, one side to the collector
of the series pass transistor, the other side to supply.

There was a huge zener diode to clamp the output if the voltage went too
high (presumably on transients).

Why not gut an alternator from a scrapyard?

Alternatively, take a look at this
http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets2/0/00jgxpdcxpzdgc4j2qphqea5e8wy.pdf it
couldn't be much easier!

Regards,