[modeleng] Re: TRIO TS530S HF Transceiver

  • From: stepney <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 21:09:48 +0100

At the present time, the most active bands are 80- and 40 metres, with
20 metres almost as busy at times.
When the sunspot cycle improves, then the higher frequency bands will
also improve, but until then....

11m , the old CB band, is little used over here these days. It is still
busy in the US< but only occasionally will you here them this side of
the "pond" (see above re sunspots.)

I would leave the rig alone and gain some experience before making any
changes.

For a start, concentrate on aerials, getting it/them right will make a
lot of difference to what you can hear (and work).
Do NOT go and spend loads of money, you can make an aerial equally as
good as any commercial one, for next-to-nothing.
Then, make an aerial tuning (matching) unit. Helpful on receive, almost
essential on transmit.

But mainly, get some experience. Learn which bands are best under
various conditions and at different times of day.
Listen to the operators, and learn the procedures.

But mainly, have fun.

Alan