[modeleng] Re: Superheater trouble - cerrobend also woods metal

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:03:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hi there All,

www.google.co.uk

Then asking it to search for cerrobend yields loads of results,
including...

http://www.bendalloy.co.uk/
www.dgrdesigns.co.uk/Instructions.pdf
www.hitechalloys.com/hitechalloys_005.htm
www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?topic=39666.0;wap2

...which should be of use.

Also a search for it's other name woods metal yields loads of stuff as
well.

Might be wrong but I suspect you have to be phenominally careful to get it
out of the pipe before subsequently silver soldering, as otherwise it will
absorbed/adsorbed into the copper and make the copper nastily brittle and
the last thing you want is a superheater rupturing like its made of glass.

Try heating a piece of copper to red heat with some soft solder on it (in
decent ventilation, given the nasties that will come off), quench and try
bending with the same care you would if you were breaking a piece of
glass (ie gloves and goggles) if you want to see the effect.

Yours,

Rich.