[modeleng] Re: Stainless Steel Boilers

  • From: "alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:35:21 +0100

In my opinion, stainless steel is not the right material for a boiler,
although they do use it in Germany for model boilers.

As Andy A said, the federations dont accept it, and I would expect that
most, if not all, clubs would go along with their guidance.

As for sales via Ebay, there have been a number of boilers sold there, and
most, if not all, seem to be ignoring the legal requirements, i.e., the
Pressure Equipment Regulations, 1999.
The legal position was clearly explained in an article in ME in Feb 2003,
by Mike Leahy.
Those of you who were on the old list may recall a long debate  about it
shortly afterwards.

It seems that few of the sellers know the law, or if they do, are choosing
to ignore it.

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages