[modeleng] Re: Sad incident

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 21:25:49 +0100

Alan,

Yes it was an operator error. The traverser crossed a ground level seven and
a quarter track. A set of level crossing gates protected the crossing. These
gates were operated from a remote signal box. The traverser operator pressed
a button to request the signalman open the gates. The traverser had a piece
of chequer plate which the operator in question always asked the loco owner
to stand on and hold his loco during the transit.

On the occasion of the accident the traverser operator had put two locos
onto the track in quick succession and was moving a third loco from the
steaming bays. He didn't notice that the signalman had
closed the gates to the traverser and pushed the traverser into the, very
substantial, steel gates.

A very simple mistake as the traverser was in the raised position and the
crossing gates, on the opposite side of the the traverser to the operator,
were only a few feet high.

The traverser operator was devastated and left the site almost immediately.
I am still trying to formulate a few words of consolation to send him, he is
one of the good guys.

Barrie