[modeleng] Re: Sad incident

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 12:51:04 +0100 (BST)

At a society I am a member of, we used to have a traverser back in the
1980s.

A girl fell off a train one day onto the traversers concrete pad and broke
her arm (so I am told), so they got rid of the traverser, and installed a
lifting and rotating turntable.

Unfortunately in the 1990's whilst lowering the turntable, the owner of
one locomotive ended up with two finger crushed beyond repair, and lost
the fingers. (Also I'd highlight that unless the centre of the locomotives
mass is in the centre of the turntable and the locomotive is rigid -
neither of which is the case for a tender engine, then a turntable which
jams suddenly will likely have the same effect of throwing the locomotive
off.)

So they got rid of the turntable and we now have a traverser again, though
now in the monitored station area, rather than in the high speed section
of the track.

Now it is highlighted by this accident, it is easy to think of seeing many
traversers 'wizzed' up and down at a speed that if they jammed (on a stone
say) they would throw the locomotive off, and I suspect your fellow member
Barrie may well have been moving the traverser up and down at the same
speed that a great many others do.

I don't think I have ever seen a traverser structure with anything to
prevent a loco falling off.

All the best,

Rich.