[modeleng] Sad incident

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Model Engineering List" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 12:18:54 +0100

Went to the Duchess Day last Saturday, thirteen five inch Duchesses and a
couple of seven and a quarter. Great stuff and a great day until one of the
five inch engines was being moved on the traverser which stopped suddenly. The
complete engine in steam fell off and ended up on its back lodged in the
traverser structure.
The engine in question was virtually new, painted black and displayed at the
recent Harrogate show. Fortunately I did not actually witness the accident as I
was running at the time but apparently the damage was substantial. The club
member who was operating the traverser was inconsolable and went home almost
immediately. I know him quite well and am finding it difficult to imagine how
he must feel.
It sure put a dampener on the day.
Barrie