[modeleng] Re: Rivet forensics

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:55:02 -0500

Liberty ships were of course welded as far as I know and may even have been
x-rayed for soundness of welds.  The main reason Liberty ships sank was
because of good old Adolph's U-Boats.  One had to be brave to sail on a
cargo ship because the convoys stopped for no survivors.  Not a good thing
to think over while stoking the furnaces or crewing on  a Liberty ship.
There are a lot of good men and big reciprocating triple expansion engines
lying on the bottom of the Atlantic along with cargos needed for the war
effort.  The Filer and Stowell company of Milwaukee built 157 triples for
Liberty and Victory ships.  They had been building huge marine engines for
many years before the war and I have some photos made in their factory.

I think the world's navies are on the way out.  I saw some footage on the
History Channel last week and you wouldn't believe some of the devious new
ways of eliminating ships.  One is a torpedo that passed underneath a ship
and detonated twice.  First blast pretty well broke a destroyer in half and
the second one sent a shock wave that finished the job.  All this took maybe
two seconds and you had a two piece ship.  Let's hear it for air ships!!!

Jesse the redneck Tennesseean