[modeleng] Re: Reposted message

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:31:35 +0100 (BST)

Hi there Martin,

You make some interesting points.

I think what I have seen, and you may have witnessed, is that some
organisations misuse H&S to stop things happening as they are worried who
will get blamed if there is an accident - whereas as you rightly say it is
about trying to mimimise the risk of accidents. I think this can lead to
H&S getting a bad name, though there are other isssues which don't help it
in the eyes of some people.

In terms of the washing machine: imagine you wanted to set one up in the
lab at school because one of your D&T pupils was doing some experiments to
determine which of three floor coverings caused it to vibrate the least
(that wasn't what actually happened in the case I am thinking of, but an
example you could come up against maybe). Now imagine trying to do the H&S
paperwork for it given the mixture of water and electricity.

All the best,

Rich.