[modeleng] Old Films

  • From: "alanjstepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:49:51 +0100

If you remember back to the days when cinemas showed news clips between the
films, you will know that almost all were provided by Pathe News.
Their archive is available online, and short low-quality clips are FREE, (my
favourite word!)
 http://www.britishpathe.com

Among the clips are:

11 years old boy treats friends with a ride on his genuine Burell traction
engine, present from his father. The boy, being Micheal Lugg.

Great Western Railway's new streamlined train, 'King Henry VII'.

A train runs its last journey on a tiny old railway in Aylesbury,
Buckinghamshire.

THE MONSTER - FILMED AT GORTON, MANCHESTER    842.18
Garratt type locomotive is seen both stationary and moving along the tracks.

QUAINT RAILWAYS 19/08/1933   980.10
A small railway train is contrasted with a locomotive. Large model railway
is also featured.

There are even some non-UK films.

AUSTRIA CELEBRATES HER CENTENARY OF RAILWAYS  06/12/1937   945.17
Trains from 1800s to 1930s shown in rail show to celebrate century of
Austrian railways.

CENTENARY OF AMERICAN RAILROADS 06/10/1927   700.30
Scenes in Baltimore celebrating the centenary of the railroads.

There is one of the 1956 Model Engineer Exhibition.
(I am fairly sure I went to that one, but cant see my in the crowds.)

Obviously there are many others on topics apart from steam and models, but
there are enough of those for me, for now.
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam Engine, and Railway technical pages.