[modeleng] Re: O/T Re: Re: Loco identity - Plan 9 from Outer Space

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:41:28 -0500

] O/T Re: Re: Loco identity - Plan 9 from Outer Space

Yes, I think a film buff friend of mine showed me a bit of that years ago,
and eluded to parts of it's history.

Was that the film by Ed Wood? Reputed that it should have been called Planet
9 From Outer Space, but Ed had got funding from a local Church, and they
were none too happy about the suggestion of the existence of extra
terrestrials. Hence a major script rewrite.

Other issues as I recall, lead actor Bella Lugosi (spelling?) died part way
through the filming and was replaced by someone a clear foot shorter and
looked nothing like him.

Tombstones were made of foam and kept falling over.

The flying saucers really were just hub caps on string!

Did you see the more recept film made about the life of Ed himself?

Yours,

Rich.

Rich,

Have you figured out how the valve motion could work on that weirdo
locomotive?  Looks like the loco was designed by someone who once saw a
steam locomotive and tried to build one from memory.

I don't remember who the Plan 9 film was produced by, but as you say Bela
did die and have to be replaced partway through the film.  They always
referred to him as "The Old Man" without giving him a name.  Those flying
saucers were obviously done on the cheap though I thought they were paper
plates because it seems that one was burned while flying. I hadn't heard
about the foam tombstones.   The other film someone tried to make of War of
the Worlds consisted mostly of some bloke who was always running here and
there.  I think it was made in old Blighty, but not sure.  I know one thing,
the main character sure could run.

Jesse in hot dry Troy, TN USA.