[modeleng] Re: Morality was Model prices

  • From: "Clifton" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 15:33:16 +0100

Hi All,

Sometimes a showcase model can have hidden problems as to why it isn't
steamed.
Some years ago I purchased an 3.5" Evening Star showcase model with the
intention of steaming it.
It was all there including a silver soldered boiler with the combustion
space. Just about the worst bit to build.
It even had a steam brake &  Lubricator.

When I gave the boiler a hydraulic test it leaked like a sieve. On stripping
down & checking, the whole boiler had been beautifully constructed but the
foundation ring had been sealed with Araldite.
It also had the handrail knobs & all fittings screwed direct into the boiler
shell. Overall the boiler was scrap.

Having now started to take it to bits I carried on looking & found even more
horrors. The frame spacers were all made from Aluminum, the stream
passageways when drilled had broken through in all the wrong places in the
cylinders, the piston valves & valve liners were junk  & later I found that
the driving wheels has been glued on with more Araldite.

In the end it was a total rebuild.

I still wonder why somebody went to all the extents of buying the castings,
materials & lots of labor to produce a non working lump.

After I rebuilt the loco & drove it a couple of times I decided that 3.5"
was not for me & went to 5" with the net result that it has now been stuck
on a bookcase as a showcase model for 20 years.

So it has gone full circle.

Clif