[modeleng] Re: Morality was Model prices

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 17:55:30 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012, Tim Kirby wrote:

> I don't know if it's "morality" as such. Some certainly subscribe to
> the idea that these machines are works of art that should not be
> sullied. Personally I like machines that *do* things. If it's built
> to run then I say it should run... of course, sometimes the museum
> quality machine looks pretty and doesn't run worth squat - in which
> case display is the only solution :)

From my line of work, I see an awful lot of engineering where almost all
of the hard work has been put in, but them it has stalled because it fails
at the commissioning stage, and the route cause of the problem can't be
found.

I knew someone in the past who remade the cylinders for his speedy twice
(ie made three sets): a brilliant craftsman, but he couldn't understand
why the loco wouldn't work...having observed the engine fail when in steam
with the third set of cylinders, another friend repudely strolled away
from the engine, strolled back and announced that the blast nozzle must be
blocked, and sure enough it was, and it was easily fixed!!!

I have always thought that many construction articles could do more to
help, as they completely neglect this part of the build, which may just be
common sense to some, or trained in to engineers, but which I am sure is
the direct cause of an awful lot of 'display models'. Also knowing full
well how complicated matters can get when there is more than one 'fault'
impacting on another, and that in a more complex system, the chance of
more than one 'fault' is very high, I feel that a lot of articles could to
more to encourage the builder to check that each part works as they go
along, and to check that combinations of parts work as they are assembled.

Or am I the only person who has observed and thinks this?

Yours,

Rich.