[modeleng] Re: Metals

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:49:56 -0500

Hi AJ,

EDM will certainly machine it, but will be costly. EDM will cut any metal,
BTW, even pure tungsten, tungsten carbide, nickel carbide, etc. CBN (cubic
boron nitride) tooling or diamond tooling may shift it, but again, will be
costly and you need a powerful spindle to use these cutting tools, 20 HP or
more.

You may have a chilled iron casting or a piece of Stellite.

In either case, since the green grit (silicon carbide) wheel will cut it,
you are probably dealing with some form of iron carbide which as you mention
is extremely difficult to machine with conventional tools.

Cheers, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada