[modeleng] Re: Lathe for sale

  • From: KJones9154@xxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 04:54:20 EST

shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
It, too  was extremely heavily
built, but with a strange anomaly - the bed for the  saddle was very wide,
and then rising at least six inches above it was a  subsidiary narrow bed for
the tailstock!

Hubert has just described my old 5inch Drummond lathe or something very
similar.
I owned this machine for about 50 years, during that time it was used only
rarely (to do those special jobs that only a lathe will do). Having a full time
 job and a family to bring up there was little time to do the model
engineering that I can now indulge in.
It was only at the end of my ownership that I found out more about the
machine after a chance visit to the Guildford museum where there is a Drummond
lathe on show. Through the museum I contacted a Guildford resident who used to
work for Drummond's. He had saved from the skip a load of sales records and
from  these he was able to date my lathe and to whom it was sold. This
suggested
that  it was also used on board a ship in the year 1917.
The original machine was treadle operated but this was missing when I  got
it. My father fitted an electric drive to it and it was in this form  when I
sold it to a late member of this group.
I keep am eye on the Drummond enthusiasts club:-
_drummondlathe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:drummondlathe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
and I know that the lathe now has another owner but I think it is missing
its stand and legs which is a shame because this seemed to give it 'grace and
style'.
It can be seen in its original form among the photos on the above site  under
'5inch Drummond', painted bright green as that was the colour paint that  dad
had spare at the time.

Ken Jones in bright and sunny but cool Berkshire.