[modeleng] Re: Lathe for sale

  • From: "Shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:29:38 -0000

Alan

It looks great - what a splendid job you did in refurbishing and painting
it.   Built like a battleship, indeed!

In the late 1940's, I had a heavy Drummond lathe at work, built for the
Royal Navy for use in the first World War.    It, too was extremely heavily
built, but with a strange anomaly - the bed for the saddle was very wide,
and then rising at least six inches above it was a subsidiary narrow bed for
the tailstock!   A very strange idea, as except for the 'gap' where the top
bed stopped, it greatly restricted the diameter of metal to be machined.
It also had a comparatively short bed - presumably to fit into the warship's
workshop.

Cheers!   Hubert