[modeleng] Lapping, pumps, etc was

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:24:16 -0600

At 11:44 PM 2/20/06 -0000, you wrote:
>I was always under the impression that "gun-metal" was another term used
for Bronze - ie a Copper/Tin Alloy.  How do you differentiate between the
two? - Andy

Andy,
       You are of course correct that gunmetal is a bronze.  In my
experience with castings supplied from the UK, "gunmetal" castings tended
to have a somewhat greyish-pink caste to them whereas what I call bronze
has a more golden appearance.  That's about all l can say about it, I have
no magic identifier, other than this particular Bridget pump casting has a
distinctly different color than "gunmetal" castings for the same loco.
This could be explained by their being from a different foundary or
different pour.  I'm not very fond of gunmetal, or bronze either for that
matter, but particularly gunmetal because of it's tendency to snatch drills
and cutters.  I hate when that happens.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville  Tennessee