[modeleng] Lapping Steel Cylinder

  • From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

I have a cylinder fabricated from Black Steel
Pipe/Tubing that must be lapped.  It is app. 1.625"
in diameter by 4 inches long.  A commercial cylinder
hone would not fit in the bore.  Making a lap from a
piece of Copper this size is cost prohibitive.  I have
several blocks of very dense hard Maple on hand.  Is
it possible to do a well fitting job with a wooden
lap?

Al Messer