[modeleng] I'm back

  • From: "Alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:40:00 +0100

From a week of boating around the canals.

Dave, Sorry I didnt get in touch. We didnt seem to have nearly enough time
for all we wanted to do.

I did see the centre of Birmingham, the Black Country Museum, and we also
stopped for a few hours at Kinver and walked up Kinver Edge. Then to
Stourport and Worcester.

We did some 65-70 miles, going through about 125 locks, and four major
tunnels. One of the latter was, indeed is, over 3,000 yards long.

For those who dont know our canal system, the locks are, typically, 70ft
long and 7 ft wide.
The boat we had is 66 ft long and 6 10" wide.
Imagine threading a needle, when you are sitting some 60 ft from the "sharp
end"!
Passing other boats can be fun, when the tunnels are 14'6" wide, and both
boats are nearly 7ft wide.

All great fun and reasonably good weather.

Alan