[modeleng] Henry Greenly's books published by Cassells

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:25:40 +0100 (BST)

Hi there All,

I'm curious to have a look at some of Henry Greenly's work, and asside
from his book of designs, and his book on valve gear, and workshop
pactice, I note that there are a series of three books by him published
by Cassell many years ago...

* One on steam loco's
* One on electric loco's
* One on other aspects appart from loco's

These seem to have been reprinted several times over the past century, and
come up for sale second hand here and there.

My first question is this though:-

* These books seem to vary in number of pages from near 200 to near 400
pages from reprint to reprint - if I'm after a second hand copy, which do
I go for - are they all actually the same, but printed on larger paper, or
do some of them have large swathes of the info cut out?

My second question is:-

* Which periodicals can I find his articles in (and which issues) - I'm
told he did write for rival publications to Model Engineer, but I can't
find any details. Were any of his designs published in serial format in
the same way that LBSC's were?

Any pointers on the above would be appreciated.

Yours,

Rich.