[modeleng] Re: Giving rides to small children

  • From: "alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:20:34 +0100

In the not-so-distant future, it may become law that those giving rides to
children have some sort of check to ensure they are "suitable" people, in
much the same way that thsoe working with children or old people now have to
have police clearance.

Meanwhile, clubs may have their own rules, to protect themselves and the
members, perhaps rules imposed upon them by the clubs insurers, or other
outside bodies.

No matter how much we object, that is the way things are these days, and we
either have to accept it, or opt out and not give rides to children.

Looking through back numbers of ME, there was heated correspondence
regarding the enforced requirements for boilers to be tested and have
certificates.

Even further back, there were many debates about the new laws that required
vehicles to have red lights at the rear.

Nowadays we accept both of those measures, and I dont doubt that in the
future, model engineers will accept laws and rules that are imposed today,
once they have become the norm.

As the song says, "the times they are a'changing".

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages