[modeleng] Re: Gear wear

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:56:16 -0400

Many of the nylons used for gear service are glass filled. As soon as the
resin skin wears through, rapid mating gear wear occurs due to glass fibre
ends rubbing on the mating part. Also, certain nylons / polyamides have
naturally forming crystals in the resin which will also wear mating items.
Nylon can flex away from the mating part, much more so than the mating part,
if it is steel. So, by nature it will not wear as fast as a mating steel
part. Any dirt or filings near the system will also become embedded in the
nylon which makes it an excellent lap. Lubrication will actually worsen
this, as it traps dirt and spreads it around.

B&D of course do not want their appliances to last forever - if you get five
years out of a hedge trimmer these days you are doing well. Then you buy a
new one and make B&D happy. Luckily their stuff doesn't cost an arm and a
leg.

OT - anyone heard from Wilfried Vermeiren these days?

Cheers, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada