[modeleng] Re: Free Cutting Steel

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:46:29 -0500

    At this moment another by-stander,  who had obviously been listening
> said that it was impossible to weld EN1A.   He was not able to explain
> just why,  or what happened if you tried,  but he did know that it was
> due to the presence of lead in the steel.   The argument started to get
> quite serious,  so I excused myself and I guess I must have been the
> catalyst (perhaps an active catalyst!),  as the discussion also
> subdued.   However there was no conclusion to the matter.
>
>     So Gentlemen - I come back to my original question,  can you silver
> solder EN1A?    As a subsidiary - can it be welded?  Cheers,  Roger Mason,
in St. Agnes.

Roger, it depends on what you mean by welding.  My son and I regularly weld
12L14 free machining steel using an oxy/acetylene torch, but I haven't had
any success welding with electrodes.  Sometimes when welding the 12L14 to
1018 steel, one will see tiny bubble holes when machining it, but it holds
quite well. As to silver soldering, I will have to give it a try in a little
while.  I am almost 100% sure I have silversoldered it in the past, but
can't remember any specific instance. Stay tuned for the late news!

I don't know what alloy EN1A is, but I bet it is similar to our 12L14 or
12L15, both are leaded steels for use in automatic screw machines.  We use
hundreds of feet yearly of various diameters from 7/32 up to 7/8".  All of
this steel is welded to the ends of 1018 steel rods of 3/16" and 1/4" to
make reproduction ramrods for muskets.

Jesse the Tennessee Redneck