[modeleng] Re: FW: Rail Accident Investigation alert: RAIB investigation - Kirklees

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 22:24:44 +0800

G'Day Peter,

I was not knocking the fusible plug, but the report itself. I found it to be
typical of a gov't report that has been written by someone who doesn't
actually know much (if any thing) about the topic that they are writing
about..... I saw it as Rich did. My comments were purely a facetious view of
the report, and it's lack of saying anything worthwhile, while seeming to
blame everybody..... Especially the driver who desperately needs his arse
kicking for, not dropping the fire until the fusible plug had started
melting, which he also failed to notice....... How bloody slack is that!!!!!

I feel I must also apologise for my dry sense of humour...... As this could
be taken the wrong way.

On another serious note.

Fusible plugs have the same chances of failing as RCD's and all other safety
devices. Right now, I am trying to think of one that is completely failsafe,
and can't. ( If anyone can think of one, then please tell me what it is!! )
What can make it hard for fusible plugs to work, is if they get a thick
enough scale build up over the top of them...... This, while under test, has
been found to hold back the steam in some circumstances. There is a very
simple cure for this, and that is to replace the plug at every testing of
the boiler as the minimum frequency. That seems to nail it for the hobby
boiler very nicely. For the commercial boiler, they have to be replaced
according to the relevant standard. Over here (West Aust.) it is annually at
a minimum frequency. In the marine world, I believe it's at every
inspection, which is (I believe) every 2 years.......? I can't remember
now.....
Regardless, they are the best safety device known to man so far...... I
suppose we could invent a infer-red temp scanner that will read the temp's
of all the firebox plates and set of an alarm if the plates get too hot.....
And the best bit is that you need to measure the fire side of the sheets as
they are much hotter than the water side...... So now it must withstand
1500°C, and would need to be calibrated annually to ensure that it is
actually working... at the time of calibration......
Nothing is perfect, so we just have to do the best we can.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Phill.