[modeleng] Re: FW: Rail Accident Investigation alert: RAIB investigation - Kirklees

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:36:19 +0100 (BST)

Hi there Peter,

I think my worry is that the person writing the report from the RAIB
doesn't seem to know the difference between what is a train and what is a
locomotive.

I think they also haven't been very clear in their meaning...which I felt
could imply that all the locomotives by that builder should immediately be
taken out of service with a view to an assessment being made of if they
have a grossly inadequately sized fuseable plug...or just that the
fuseable plug hadn't melted all the way though because it hadn't yet
overheated. I didn't think that this showed the usual degree of care in
authoring as it could needlessly take down a builders reputation, if this
wasn't what they were trying to say (again unclear).

I totally agree that these kind of reports are very useful, and even yes
get something up there that's badly explained and poorly written so it's
meaning isn't clear...and then check it and repost. I was making the point
that whilst it had been posted earlier on this discussion group that the
driver needed their arse kicking, that I would wait on the final verdict
before doing so, as I felt the care in detailing this report was not what
it could have been.

I have to say, in the nicest possible way, I'm not sure why you think it's
a "bit strong" of me to say "a driver can't see a fuseable plug melting",
"the train crew actually includes the buffet car staff, surely them mean
the locomotive crew", and "innocent until proven guilty", by which I meant
I didn't think you should critise the driver until we knew the full and
unmuddled facts (though I could see that you could take it as me confusing
H & S with the blame game with my use of the word 'guilty' which wasn't my
intention - I was just quoting the old adage)...or am I missing something?

All the best,

Rich.