[modeleng] Re: Diamond Core Drills

  • From: "TEL" <tel47@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 12:02:40 +1000

I haven't actually done that Cliff, but it sounds eminently doable. If I can
find the little handful of them that I've got here I must have a play -

Not enough room/metal to weld a decent chunk of metal on and then use a
shifter? That's got me out of trouble in the past.

> Hi All,
> I have a problem with a bolt on my car.
>
> It was a Torx type star headed 10mm bolt which is supposed to be tightened
to a torque of 15 ft.lbs and is one of three holding the pulley onto the
power steering pump,.
> When I tried to undo it the torx tool simply ripped the stars off leaving
a round  head. Just to make it worse it is typically in a awkward place to
get too and part of the design of these beasts is that they flare out
towards the base so forming their own washer. So I am now left with a cone
shaped disaster zone.
> Using a Dremel type slitting disc I formed a slot in the remaining head
and so far using screw driver blades that fit into a 1/4" drive socket have
sheared off four  blades. I even tried heating it up using a Micro blowlamp.

> From this it seems that it does not look as though it is ever going to
shift and so have hatched another plan.

> I intend to use a Diamond Core drill, as used for drilling holes in very
hard marble tiles etc. I have used these when installing bathrooms.

> What I hope to do is place the core drill over the pointed head of the
bolt and grind my way down to the pully face hopefully turning the bolt head
into a stud. Thus I hope at least to be able get the pulley off.

> I was hoping to put a thread on the resulting stud and then put a nut onto
it but there will not be sufficient clearance to get a die down it. The
pulley therefore is going to have just be held on by the remaining two bolts
with the stud just taking some of the drive load.