[modeleng] Re: Couplings Now O/T

  • From: peter.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:11:29 +0000

There is also the  Crofton Beam Engines on the Kennet and Avon canal. The
1812 engine there is the oldest working steam engine in the world. The
Birmingham museum claim that their engine from, I think, Ocker Hill, is the
oldest, but it justs goes up and down - it doesn't actually work, while
Crofton pumps water. When Crofton is in steam, the Waterways people shut
off the electric pumps, so it really does work! The other engine there is a
new one - 1846. Can't remember how much it shifts each stroke - I ueed to
know. It takes about 25 minutes to shift enough water to fill a lock -
about 65000 gallons.

Several of the people who started the Kew collection came from Crofton,
funnily enough. Crofton is also in very nice countryside - I had my wedding
reception there.

Peter Chadwick
Swindon