[modeleng] Re: Couplings

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:43:42 -0600

Terry,  Most US clubs require safety chains on all cars with knuckle
couplers when pulling passengers just in case something lets go.  That is
interesting because you almost never hear of a prototype knuckle coupler
coming loose although I can remember the GM&O broke a few of them when
pulling 150 car trains through the Mississippi delta country.  That was in
the days before roller bearings on freight cars so they got quite a jolt
when starting off from a standstill especially when going up grade.  A lot
of our club passenger/rider  cars at Mid-South are articulated with only one
bogie between each car and those are centre seat with solid draw bars.

Jesse