[modeleng] Re: Char

  • From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 05:36:52 -0700 (PDT)

Lee, I do not know about any model railroaders using
it for fuel, but bagged Charcoal briquettes is the
fuel of choise by the owner of the African Queen these
days.  Only problem he has is that the launch must be
loaded to the gunwales with bags of fuel for only a
short cruise as it burns so rapidly.

Al Messer, still loco-less in Tenn.

--- Lee Grant <leegrant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have been reading the thread about Titanium grates
> on the modeleng.org board.  First I must state that
> what I know about raising steam and driving a model
> steam locomotive you could tattoo on to a tadpoles
> todger but it seems to me that burning coal is more
> trouble than its worth with holes burnt in grates
> and arches, clinker,
>  excess residue, fire going out, driver feeling a
> bit crook after a days steaming.
> The most popular fuel used here in Oz seems to be
> industrial Char made from brown coal.  There was a
> comparison test done by Hornsby M.E.S and reported
> in A.M.E issue 119 on Welsh Steam Coal and they
> thought that Char was better. As there may not be a
> similar product available in the U.K. I though about
> solid BBQ fuel. From what I can find out its a very
> similar product only a bit more refined with all the
> nasty bits taken out Its clean their is no smoke no
> smell (cooking food with char can poison You)  This
> stuff is sold everywhere in Oz Supermarkets, service
> stations, hardware stores. A 4Kg bag at my local
> supermarket costs $6.50 Probably cost less than half
> that wholesale. Tel told me he has used it in a
> vertical steel boiler without any problems. If this
> product is available in the UK it may be a viable
> alternative. Anybody else have any thought's on
> this.  I will keep asking around somebody must have
> tried it in a loco.
> Maybe there is a business opportunity here.
> http://www.auschar.com.au/index.html
> Lee
>

> -- Attached file included as plaintext by Ecartis --
> -- Desc: "AVG certification"

> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
> Release Date: 20/05/05

Yahoo! Mail