[modeleng] Re: Alternatives for sleepers Jarrah

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:02:38 -0600

Terry,

Our gum timber rots very fast when untreated and exposed to use such as
railway sleepers, but  it is one wood that is in demand because 1: it is
tough and 2: it absorbs creosote and other wood preservatives better than
many other woods.  A species called Black Gum has a tough twisted grain
structure which almost defies splitting, even when hydraulic splitters are
used. You can walk along old railway roadbeds and spot those sleepers made
of B Gum because of the way the grain criss crosses itself.

Jesse

.. or from Ironbark or Redgum if you hail from the right side of the