[modeleng] Re: ALERT!! IMPORTANT!! and PS about Model Engineer

  • From: "John Buckley" <jfsbuckley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:56:23 +1000

Evening Fellows,

Here is a copy of the Live Chat I have just had with Ebay re unauthorized
access.

6:20:32 PM  System
Initial Question/Comment: Unauthorized listings
6:20:33 PM  System
Thank you for contacting eBay Australia Live Help! Please hold for the next
available Live Help representative.
6:20:38 PM  System
You will be able to type in your question as soon as you are connected with
a Live Help Agent.
6:20:53 PM  System
Melody O. has joined this session!
6:20:53 PM  System
Connected with Melody O.
6:20:58 PM  Melody O.
Hello! Thank you for contacting eBay Live Help, my name is Mel. How may I
help you?
6:21:56 PM  jbsupplies
Hi, I have just checked my account and found that a company called" Auctiva
Corporation ( created 26-Aug-07)" had access to my account. I did not give
approval for them to have access.
6:22:18 PM  jbsupplies
ave cancelled their acess but I want to know how they got there in the first
place?
6:22:21 PM  jbsupplies
John
6:23:54 PM  Melody O.
Autiva is a third party listing tool used by eBayers. I can look into this
for you, In order to do so, I need to verify your information. Could you
please provide me with your name, address, and telephone number? (Note that
eBay would never ask you for sensitive information like passwords and credit
card numbers)
6:24:15 PM  jbsupplies
John F. S. Buckley
6:24:20 PM  jbsupplies
11 Amaroo Road
6:24:26 PM  jbsupplies
Tamworth NSW 2340
6:24:31 PM  jbsupplies
Australia
6:24:43 PM  jbsupplies
Ph 61 2 6765 3783
6:24:51 PM  jbsupplies
John
6:25:03 PM  Melody O.
Thank you John, allow me a few moments to review your account.
6:28:24 PM  Melody O.
Sorry for the delay, I am looking into this for you.
6:28:34 PM  jbsupplies
That is OK.
6:28:35 PM  Melody O.
May I ask how you removed it?
6:28:58 PM  jbsupplies
I placed a tick in the removal box and activated it.
6:29:15 PM  jbsupplies
I then went back into the account to make sure that it was removed.
6:29:24 PM  Melody O.
What were you looking at when you did this, was it an auction?
6:29:49 PM  jbsupplies
I was advise by a friend to check the account as there have beenn a number
of peoples accounts compromised by this sort of thing.
6:30:34 PM  Melody O.
Are you a seller John?
6:31:05 PM  jbsupplies
I haven't sold anything for a fair while now but will be doing so again
shortly.
6:31:11 PM  jbsupplies
I have been mainly buying.
6:31:44 PM  Melody O.
Ok.
6:32:32 PM  Melody O.
I have reviewed your account and it is secure, there has been no third party
access. I have also looking into Auctiva.
6:32:36 PM  jbsupplies
I have just received another email from a friend in England and his account
had been accessed by "ChannelAdvisor Services"
6:32:59 PM  Melody O.
These are possibly phishing or spam emails.
6:33:34 PM  jbsupplies
Regardl;ess of what they are why are they getting access to our accounts?
6:34:04 PM  Melody O.
Auctiva is a whole seperate third party site. The only way to get Auctiva is
to sign up on their site for it and linked the Auctive account to your
auctions.
6:34:19 PM  Melody O.
As I mentioned I have reviewed your account and it is secure.
6:34:52 PM  Melody O.
There has been no third party access.
6:34:54 PM  jbsupplies
None of us has authourised anyone access to our accounts yet these companies
are appearing around the worl.
6:35:09 PM  Melody O.
Would you mind holding a moment.
6:37:49 PM  Melody O.
Did you receive an email tellng you about this?
6:37:58 PM  Melody O.
And where exactly did you remove Auctiva?
6:38:51 PM  jbsupplies
I know the people that have sent the emails. I then looked at my account and
found the company mentioned. Others have checked their accounts and found
similar events.
6:39:25 PM  jbsupplies
I never respond to any emails supposedly sent ex Ebay etc. I always go via
the main web site to verify any emails.
6:40:35 PM  Melody O.
Where did you remove Auctiva?
6:41:15 PM  jbsupplies
I went in General preferences then to Third Party
6:43:25 PM  Melody O.
I'm sorry for all the questions, this is not something I have encountered
before. I just want to let you know again that I have reviewed your account
and it is secure. I am doing a bit more reserach so thank you for being
patient.
6:44:19 PM  jbsupplies
That is OK. I have the impression that there may be a lot of people out
there with these breeches of security.
6:45:15 PM  Melody O.
As I have just said John, your account is secure. There was no evidence of
third party access.
6:45:55 PM  Melody O.
Ok John, I have some news for you.
6:46:13 PM  jbsupplies
OK. I guess I will just have to keep checking my account to se that it
doesn't happen again. I will post our discussion to my friends so they are
aware of what has happened.
6:46:18 PM  jbsupplies
Thanks for your help
6:46:35 PM  Melody O.
Wait, dont go!
6:48:40 PM  Melody O.
For your account to be tied to Auctiva, someone would have had to log into
that company's site and signed you up. I suggest that you contact that
company's customer support for more information as you were not the one that
set these preferences up. And again I will mention that your eBay account is
most definitely secure, that preference was set on the other company's site
and is only linked to your eBay account.
6:49:00 PM  jbsupplies
Thanks Mel.
6:49:05 PM  jbsupplies
Take care,
6:49:10 PM  jbsupplies
John
6:49:18 PM  Melody O.
I'm glad I was able to help you today. When you close this window you will
be asked to complete a short survey; this gives you the opportunity to
comment on your experience and helps me improve my service. Before we end
our chat, is there anything else I can help you with?
6:49:54 PM  jbsupplies
Nothing else for now. Have a great day/evening
6:50:15 PM  Melody O.
Have a great weekend and thank you for using eBay Live Help.

All as clear as mud. No answer as to how it happened.

John