[modeleng] Re: ALERT!! IMPORTANT!!

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mod >> \"modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\"" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:29:31 +0100 (BST)

Hi there Patrick,
I have to admit, I am increasingly wary of the number of companies which
just hold our card details on file - including a number of the Model
Engineering ones, and if they as rubbish at looking after card details as
they are about getting order correct, then this is concerning.

I tend to only use my card in fairly main stream stores, and use cash for
shops where the card handling might be a bit more 'micky mouse'. Sure the
banks provide secure payment systems, but the organisations that provide
the slot for the till operators to swipe the card down the side of the
till for the company records - that could well be a different story.

I think it was TK max that made it onto the news a few months ago, when
they realised their company machines had been hacked and loads of people
card details had been copied.

As far as mail order - I have to admit then it may be old fashioned, but I
still use a cheque. That way if it goes wrong, the bank is obliged to
honour the mistake. With chip and pin, the whole point is that the banks
don't have to sort it out - it's our fault for divulging the pin!

How long this can go on for I don't know - for example Tesco's will no
longer accept cheque payment, and if many other shops follow suit the
cheque may die a death.

The other thing I do is to change my card every few months - tell the bank
it's cracked, or it keeps failing to work in the tills and they send you a
new one. Only downside with this is, it would be a lot of hastle if one
got lost in the non-secure post by which they send it!

This was how I found that one Model Engineering company had my card number
on their computer, as they tried to bill an order to my card, only they
seemed top have my old card number, which I'd used to order with them 12
months previous.

My other precaution is to make sure you are covered/insured for the
incident. Make sure the bank has cancelled the card - just because you've
told them the fraud has happened, that doesn't mean they automatically
cancel the card!!! Also make sure you report it to the police. To stand
any chance of getting your money back I think you need a police incident
number.

Yours,

Rich.