[modeleng] 7.25" gauge L&B, Hunslet drawings and boiler construction

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:27:11 +0100 (BST)

Hi there All,

I've a few observations and questions which I thought I'd throw out there
to the group incase they drummed up any interesting conversation.

1) Whilst surfing the interweb last evening, I came across the following
site detailing the construction of a Lynton and Barnstaple 2-6-2 in
7.25" gauge...

http://www.mizensrailway.co.uk/Images/Loco/Locos/Davids%20Loco.htm

...this looks like quite an impressive beast, but I was a bit taken aback
by the frame thickness of 20mm. Is this kind of thing the norm for Milner
locomotive designs?

2) The thing I was actually looking for was drawings for some of the 4
foot wheelbase Hunslet quarry locomotives formerly of North Wales. I've
got hold of the book which is the respected source on the subject as
talked about by this page...

http://www.quarryhunslet.mste.co.uk/public/intro.php

...but only the drawings smaller and larger hunslets are detailed in the
book, whereas the drawings for all but the smallest of the Penrhyn
locomotives are missing. Does anyone have any ideas where drawings can be
obtained from for the Penrhyn 'Large Quarry' and/or the Penrhyn 'Port'
class hunslets? Ie...

http://www.quarryhunslet.mste.co.uk/public/Bill_Harvey.php
http://www.quarryhunslet.mste.co.uk/public/Winifred.php

...to me they just have the edge over the other variants which seem to
be more commonly modelled.

3) In looking through a book detailing full size boiler construction, it
looks like it was common place to construct a subassembly of inner and
outer firebox all on one piece with backhead the throatplate fitted. Then
as the final stages of assembly the boiler barrel, front tubeplate and
tubes would be added. Why do we not do this in miniature? Am I missing
something here - as we end up having a much larger mass of copper hot for
the fitting of all the stays, all the backhead bushes, foudation ring etc,
whereas with the full size method they keep the size of the 'beast' down
for all the fiddly bits, right up till the end of the job?

Anyway, is there's anyone out there who fancies a bit of a chat on any of
the above subjects?

Yours,

Rich.