[modeleng] Re: 12" scale loco

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:26:12 -0600

Barrie,

I don't care how badly I trample on your sensitive toes, that Brit built
Frenchie lokie is just plain YOUGLY.  If you want to see how pretty a steam
locomotive can look, locate a photo of one of the Southern Pacific
"Daylight" locomotives.  There was real beauty in steam power with the
Norfolk and Western J series streamliners coming in second, but for genuine
ugliness in American steam power, one must look to the Milwaukee Road's
"Hiawatha" lokies or the New Yawk Central's "Commodore Vanderbilt".  Now
there was some pure unadulterated ugliness from THIS side of the pond.
There are a lot of very pretty British locomotives such as the "Flying
Scotsman", but to me the general run of the mill UK locomotives just "don't
look right". Yeah, I know they run/ran great, but they still look strange
for the most part. [;-)

Is this enough International agitation for one email and is WWIII about to
start between your former colony of America and Jolly Olde England over this
important difference of opinion?  Would a pint of Guinness's Stout calm you
down???

Jesse, the wild eyed redneck machinist in Troy, TN

 Jesse,

 At the risk of inflaming nationalistic passions even further - American
 locos invariably look pretty ugly to my British eyes!!

 Barrie