Re: [MoAccess] e: Inquiry: Motif XF6 and Sonar

  • From: Bobbi Blood <phantomess666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:43:16 -0600

Hey All,

The information about this particular subject has been absolutely excellent stuff. It's brought up a couple more questions though. I'll quote from Brian's reply and then ask about the things I'm not sure about. To make sure Brian doesn't have to be doing all the work here, anyone who has info is free to chime in here. These questions weren't directed to Brian specifically. *grins*

Quote: "It's better to say screw it and buy a $200 Behringer BCF2000 with motorized faders than try to get the Motif to play nice as a surface."

Is this a keyboard type of controller, or is it more like a mixer type thing with only sliders and such? Where may I find more info for curiosity's sake?

Quote:  "Recording MIDI in Sonar is fine."

Does this mean I can hit "record" in Sonar, play what I want recorded and have that data go from the Motif into Sonar? If so, can I then route that data to a softsynth and have that generate sounds instead of the Motif? Would this mean that Sonar is receiving the data and acting as the Motif's internal sequencer normally would? If so, this means that the recording and playing back of the midi would all be happening through Sonar, unless I assign a track's output to the firebox midi port and make the Motif's tone generator play that way, right?

Quote: "If you feel adventurous, connect the Motif's SPDIF output to the SPDIF input on the FireBox. That will save your line-level inputs on the Firebox."

This quote makes me nervous. Why would this be adventurous? Are there settings in the Motif I need to be aware of? Isn't it just a "plug cables in and play" kind of thing? Speaking of cables, what sort of cables would I need for this kind of connection? Once I had those cables, wouldn't it just be a matter of making the correct connections between the Motif and the firebox? That doesn't sound too scary if that's the case.

Regarding what you said about getting arps into Sonar, I found an article on the subject a while back from the Motifator website. Care to elaborate on the following and tell me if you think this would work?

Start of Quote:
Since the Motif has a special function that makes it extremely easy to record arpeggios to its internal sequencer. Simply record the arpeggio you want to the Motif internal sequencer, then setup to transfer it real time to your external sequencer. To record the Motif arpeggiator to a Motif track:

Press the REC button to enter REC standby

Setup to record via the Function buttons

F1 Setup - Select Record type Overdub or Replace; set Quantize to OFF; Select Record track; etc.

F2 Voice - Select VOICE; Make basic setting

F3 ARP - Set up the Arpeggio pattern; Switch = ON; HOLD = your preference; Part Switch = ON

F4 ARP (icon) - When the little eighth note icon appears the track is armed to record the "results of the arpeggio". Not your note-ons just the results of the arpeggiator.

Press PLAY and go for as many measures as you need the arpeggio pattern.

When finished press STOP and turn OFF the ARP ON/OFF LED before playing back.

Link your Motif to your external sequencer, set MIDI clock master/slave as appropriate and transfer.
End of Quote.

That article actually made me curious, do I need to set the Motif to follow Sonar's midi clock? Will it still work properly even though Sonar has more ticks per quarter note? I'm not entirely sure how that bit works... LOL

Quote: "Trying to direct-dump is no good. As good as Yamaha is at some things, one area where they're hopeless is their clock. The Motif clock is loose, and it gets worse as the sequence is more complex."

So then, this means that if I sequence on the Motif with its loose clock, the issue will still be reflected even if I set the Motif to follow Sonar's clock during the transfer process? Speaking of "the transfer process," I'm curious if the above article I quoted was referring to transferring via FW or some other means. When you say "dump directly into Sonar," does that mean press play on the Motif and the data will go out via its midi ports and go right into Sonar? Or are you referring to one of those complicated sysex command thingies of yours?

I realize this has been a really long post, and to those of you who've made it to this point, I thank you. I also know that some of these questions are elementary in nature, but I figured I'd rather be absolutely clear than to try and outguess things I'm still trying to learn about. Thanks a bunch for reading and taking the time to answer these questions. I look forward to learning what I can.

Most Sincerely,

Bobbi
list, please use the FreeLists page.
//www.freelists.org/list/moaccess