Re: [MoAccess] Motif vs Tyros - A Practical Example

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 11:57:26 -0400

Actually this is a quick arrangement, so here goes:
This is easily done in both keyboards, you'd record 1 track then record the
next. However, the tyros has the better features on it since it is an
arranger, meaning it's geared for you to make quick arrangements without
much hassle.
So on the tyros you can press record, press the main voice button and record
your right hand/main part. Then you press record, press the left hand
button, and the tyros will automatically switch you to the proper track for
left hand and you can play your left hand part. You can add a layer voice if
you'd like or do any of the folowing: Add a style to back you up, or add
your own tracks to the song manually 1 by 1, like drums, bass, guitars etc.
The styles are made as a quick way to get you to sound like a full band in a
quick split; you give it the chords to the song or play them in, and it will
do the switches, you can switch intros/endings, switch variations etc. This
is not the case on the motif, the arps are nothing as complex as the styles,
and because they're not meant to make you sound like a full band they don't
have that many features like styles do. You can also select which part of
the style you want to use for playing life or recording, you can say keep
bass and drums and remove the other 6 parts, or add a guitar here and mute
it there etc. Also, the tyros has the song database, which let's you quickly
set the keyboard up for a song from yamaha's database, you have OTS (one
touch setting) which let's you setup all voices per style and they can be
switched from part to part. There are also registrations on the tyros which
are somewhat similar to master mode on the motif, meaning that they switch
the keyboard and all it's settings with just the press of the button.
If you're a live musician, you have the microphone inputs and vocal harmony
stuff, and these keyboards also have the lyrics display thing to allow you
to display lyrics, though not sure how useful that really is :)
So the motif will let you focus on your instrument and play with a band,
while the tyros will (if you'd like), make you be the whole band. They both
have their strengths and weaknesses, and somewhat cross over into each
other's territories; the ideal thing in a perfect world would be to own
both! Lol.

HTH, D!J!X!