Re: Next update for the day

  • From: Jim Grundstrom <jimgrundstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gckerwin <gckerwin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 01:49:46 +0000

Totally agree Greg. The team did wonderfully.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 18, 2019, at 20:15, gckerwin 
<gckerwin@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:gckerwin@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

From my perspective of how today went I think Marquette mountain ski patrol 
shined. There were many difficulties, runs closed that were supposed to be 
opened, a lot of racers, coaches and parents, minimal terrain, the inability to 
get people safely off the mountain if they rode chair one and how to get kids 
skis and jackets back down to them considering there was no way off the top of 
the mountain.
Marquette mountain ski patrol communicated with our guests worked out a plan 
with the race officials and then implemented that plan. We set up safety 
fencing and ribbons, posted signage regarding lift service chatted with the 
racers, parents, and coaches and made them laugh. We had a patroller at the top 
of rocket and at Midway and at the A-frame at all times during the racing from 
10:15 until after 3. When the race was done before I could even get up to 
Midway from the bottom petrol had opened up the four-way Logan's run crossover, 
pulled fences from weasel gulch and Midway.  had everything opened up. We were 
able to manage two non racer guest injuries without delay or interruption to 
the coverage of the racers. We were able to loan out radios and get them back 
and get kudos from the chief of course on how well and on how much patrol help 
today. MMSP has always been on the forefront of customer service and skier 
Nice work to everyone and that everyone was a lot of patrollers who made all 
that possible today.


On Fri, Jan 18, 2019, 19:46 Jim Grundstrom 
<jimgrundstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jimgrundstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Patrollers, the cold is not going to abate, and standing out in the cold is 
pretty gruesome, which is what I have heard from you all today.

I have talked with Frank and we would like to make some logical suggestions to 
help with the weather.

In the alpine building near the windows Frank is placing a couple of high back 
chairs that will allow us to sit in there, watch the hills, (especially the 
race hills) and respond very quickly.  He is OK with taking our snowmobile up 
Cliffs, Rocket, and Snowfield if necessary to safe levels up on the runs.  Good 
Judgement where safe levels are is up to the driver.  Do not take chances that 
are too risky.

He agreed that we should  move the snowmobile up to near the Alpine Building 
also and please re configure the power cord accordingly.  In talking with Frank 
I explained that it is really not convenient getting to the sled fast in its 
current location anyway.  We believe that having to post Patrollers in the 
Alpine Building is better for all quick access runs at the moment given the 
weather.  It would be appropriate to create some type of schedule for 
patrollers in the Alpine Building and prepared to move quickly.

If we see that the race course designs are becoming exceptionally "busy" for 
us, we also have permission to have a ready patroller in the Midway Rocket lift 
shack too.  At least we are on top, and can descend to either Cliffs or Rocket 
which should be the race runs for Saturday.

Ww are expecting 150 students from Wisconsin tomorrow also.

BTW, Frank is also working on a legitimate heat source for the A Frame.  That 
will be another appropriate space to patrol from soon.

We also talked about pushing out any of Contour, Chute, and Contour.  Even if 
we open the middle portion of Contour, and turn the guests down Ridge for the 
near future.  This is all well and good, after Tim gets a very specific 
grooming plan done tonight.  It could be a surprise in the morning to see what 
Tim gets accomplished.  And we may have to open any terrain possible in the 
morning, or close off parts that just do not meet the goals of safe skiing and 

FYI  just in case the straight story on the new groomer is it tried to eat 
itself in the drive line fluid passages.  It is under warranty, and Pinroth 
should be here early next week and hopefully have it repaired, flushed and back 
in action for the weekend.

This is a season of look, watch, listen and change.  Thanks for your 
constructive communications and sincere thoughts.  Frank is trying just has 
hard as we are to make a challenging season a success.


Other related posts: