[mmr] Change is in the air...

  • From: Russ <russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mmr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 18:08:04 -0800

Good evening all!

After eleven years doing the same job at the phone company, namely being a Central Office Journeyman (the guy who installs, configures and maintains the equipment in the offices), I've been accepted into the position of Transmission Engineer (the guy who plans, designs, tests and orders the equipment the CO guys install). In the telephone Journeyman world typically you start as a Construction guy (hanging on poles and working from bucket trucks), move up to residential installation and repairs, then PBX and Data work for businesses, and then the Central Office. So I'd basically topped out in my job track and Transmission Engineer is the next logical step. I feel like I'm going back to kindergarten...

On a separate front I'm stepping into another completely different world. For my entire life I've always been a renter but I've been looking at retirement in a few years and knew that had to change. I've spent almost a year looking for property to buy on which to build a home and a shop. Due to a fortuitous spur-of-the moment decision I'm closing on 5.7 acres this Friday. It's about 15 miles north of Hoquiam, WA off Highway 101 and I'm planning on building it myself over the next few years. When it's all done, y'all are more than welcome to come visit.

Yes Chuck, less than 24 hours notice will be ok. ;)

Hope all is well with everyone...
rus