[mmfa_02cap] Intro to the H Drive...

  • From: "Molly Stack" <mmstack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mmfa_02cap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 16:24:17 -0800

Ok... so I said I would make instructions for everyone regarding how to
reachthe server, here's lesson 1:

Firstly, regarding getting into it from the outside, you can't reach our
shared server in the IDSC (called Shuttle) from off campus, or anywhere alse
on campus. If you do want to get something onto campus from home or from lab
to lab, however, you can (apparently) FTP your odin account if you're a PC
user. Mac users (such as myself), I'm sure we might have an option, but I
don't know what it is. Please allow me more time for research or if any of
you have an idea of how to transfer larger files from a Mac without a disk,
let us know.

Secondly, we have one heck of a great saving options when you are logged
intoyour odin account from the IDSC lab (or anywhere on campus, I'm told).
When you're logged in, look at My Computer and you'll see a network drive
with your user name on it that reads: yourusername on 'daghda\home' (H:)

This is your H drive and it is 50 megs of sheer joy all for you and nobody
else. This is a great place to store pictures, Photoshop docs, Illustrator
files, Flash movies, mp3s, whatever you want... as long as you remember that
it's just 50 megs. Unfortunately, that's nowhere near enough space for
thingslike video or uncompressed sound files.

-On our PCs in the lab, simply find access to your H drive in the My
Computerwindow. Easy peasy.

-On a Mac, of course, it's ultimately more involved (we have these
instructions with screenshots available in the IDSC as well):
a) from Finder in OSX, pull down the Go menu.
b) click Connect to Server at the bottom.
c) Connect to Server dialog box - enter the address
smb://daghda.psu.ds.pdx.edu/home/username  (your own username that is) and
click Connect.
d) a login dialog box will appear, enter your odin username, password, and
make sure that Workgroup/Domain is set to PSU. Click OK and an icon with
yourusername will appear on the desktop. DO NOT OPEN IT YET.
e) Now open the Terminal utility (I use Sherlock to find where it is on the
Mac's hard drive, it's easier than rooting through folders to find it... but
it's usually in the Utilities folder)... yes this is an actual program
application installed as part of OSX not unlike PC DOS, except it's UNIX.
Don't worry about that.
f) at the first prompt, type cd desktop and then press Enter. Then type
ln -s /Volumes/user/user userhome  (just for clarification, that is a lower
case L at the beginning, and replace "user" with your username) and then
press Enter.
g) a folder called userhome should have appeared on the desktop. Quit
Terminal and Double click the userhome folder open- and you will have to
findyour own personal folder alphabetically in a list of probably hundreds.
The easiest way to get through them all is to change the window view to a
List view and move through them that way (seems to go faster).
h) When you are done, be sure to save your work to your userhome folder on
the desktop, and then drag the userhome folder into the trash (this logs you
out of the network and does not trash your files), as well as the disk that
was mounted (the icon of the grey globe with your name under it) and log out
under the Apple Menu.

Pant pant! OK! Got that? If you have questions about your Home drive on the
network, please feel free to ask me via email, phone or in person. Next
stop:IDSC's shared server folder, the Shuttle... | | Molly Stack | |
503.544.1556 | | Portland,OR

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access. Click Here[1]

--- Links ---
   1 http://g.msn.com/8HMEEN/2016