[mj12] DESIGN: random mutterings

  • From: "Chris Gilbert" <smartparty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mj12@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:13:26 +1000

I love the idea of the black market!

..malicious

-----Original Message-----
From: mj12-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mj12-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of meep@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 11 June 2004 7:57 PM
To: mj12@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mj12] Re: GENERAL: new member + DESIGN: random mutterings

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:53:46 +1000
n30n <n30n@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   we could gather data from various sources and use this to control
> the stock market. I'm not exactly sure how this will work, but we'll
> have to figure it out from the point where we need to implement this.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. It should be influenced by what the
players do, but there'll need to be some automatic fix0ring too.

>   i like this too,  but how will this be implemented/limited? do we
> want them to be able to steal knowledge only, or scientists? this
> could bring various strategies where players base their development
> off researching, or thievery/spying others results - they would be
> behind the research of the other Majestics, but this option might be
> cheaper. we need to think about game dynamics like this when thinking
about ideas.

I think it should be "you can steal anything that isn't bolted down" - then
that helps if you're trying to make getting to the top diverse. And don't
forget sabotaging people and stuff!

On the subject of stockmarkets and so forth, it'd be cool if there was a way
you could use a "media outlet" (perhaps something that tells the players
about what's happening in the world - countries being "invaded",
businesses/majestics behind the businesses collapsing etc, and you could
bribe the media to dish up dirt on people/businesses/countries. That would
be good. Then you could drive down peoples' stock prices with rumours and...
;D

How about a black market for that matter? And so forth. Mercenaries! (!)

Um, yeah. I'll go reply to some of the other stuff now.

-Mike