[missbirdphotos] Re: histogram

  • From: "Judy Howle" <howle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:07:58 -0500

Yes that is what I was trying to convey in the message I just posted.  The
best way is to practice until you just automatically know how much to add by
assessing the brightness of the sky and the bird to some extent, and how
much sky is visible vs foliage, water, etc.

Judy Howle

Southern Exposures

http://southernexposure.zenfolio.com

Digital Photography Class; Resources for Photographers

http://digitalphotographyclass.net

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 08:09:52 -0700
From: dr_frank_hensley@xxxxxxxxx
To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, Dana and Judy for the links  to histogram tutorials. One thing I
specifically want to learn is how to estimate exposure compensation. When
I'm shooting a bird against a bright sky, I know I'll need to dial in some +
compensation to over expose so I get details of the bird, but I don't know
how many stops of compensation I'll need. I'd like to look at the histogram
of an uncompensation shot and say to myself, that looks like I need +.6,
then dial an shoot before the bird flies away. Instead, I end up guessing,
shooting, and guessing again in hopes that I get lucky before the bird
leaves.

School is out in 3 weeks... then I'll have more time to practice.

  _____